Thursday, May 24, 2018

Days 12, 13 and 14; Melbourne and Goodbye Australia

So, I've realized that looking at my last post, I'm getting tired of posting each day, I really should just do this while I am on vacation then it will be fresh in my mind. Next time; for the rest of this vacation I'm just going to combine it all together!  We did do a lot of stuff, so it will be a bit long but not so bad.

Day 12,
Tash and I took one last morning walk along the beach before we jumped on a plane and flew to Melbourne. We arrived there a little later in the day but we did go over to the Australian Open Tennis place, that was the thing Dad wanted to do in Melbourne.

We walked on the courts and actually found a few official Australian open tennis balls too.

Day 13,

We actually got to see Melbourne in the light and it was cool. It had a lot of old timey building mixed in with very new hip ones. Examples:


Also, fun fact, in some areas of Melbourne, it is legal to graffiti the walls, hence the first picture in this blog.

We went on a walking tour of Melbourne which took us down cool renovated alleys that were filled with food vendors. Arcades which is like indoor strip malls, one of which had this massive mosaic floor which was crazy impressive!
We also explored the Goal (pronounced Jail and means Jail) which help Ned Kelly, Australia's most infamous outlaw, kinda a robin hood character, cause he would always burn the mortgages when he stole from the banks. It was interesting walking through there and just seeing the jail cells. We even went through a Jail experience where they booked us and put us in Jail for like 15 minutes.

The Jail experience kinda put us in an awkward situation timing wise.  We needed to get to a beach where fairy penguins would be going on parade for us and with it being two hours away we were afraid we might miss it. So we might have sped a bit, but not to worry, we made it and jusst in time too. We got to watch a bunch of miniature penguins come out of the ocean and go to their homes on the beach. They were so cute, no need to worry!

Day 14
Our first activity of our last day in Australia was to explore the Rippon Lea Mansion. It's one of the older homes built during the gold rush like in the 1820's. It was a cool home to walk around in and the grounds were beautiful too.
Near the front door their were stain glass of influential characters in history, I didn't know any of them except Sir Francis Drake...and I only knew him because I played Uncharted. Yeah, video games can teach you stuff!
We then jumped in the car and drove the Great Ocean Road. At least part of it, we hit a chocolate factory along the way and made a detour.

We got to do chocolate tasting and yes, we bought a lot of chocolate. We continued down the road for a bit but couldn't do the whole run cause we had to get to the airport so we could get back home.

All in all, this was a jam packed trip full of life goals accomplishments and exciting stories. I loved being with my parents, even though they were slowing down, and I loved being with my sister who I'm sure was losing patiences with our ineptitudes. I feel like it was a great vacation, it had it's ups and downs but worth every second. Tasha put a lot of work into organizing and keeping us on schedule and my dad was a trooper dealing with the crazy opposite roads and even crazier GPSs, and mom had patience with our impatience and mood swings.

I loved Australia! Adventure is Out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment