Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Day 6; The Great Barrier Reef

Today made the whole trip worth it!  We snorkled the Great Barrier Reef. Our boat agency was Down Under Dives. It was my first time on open sea, and I had pretty good sea legs.
The boat was rocking a ton and there were a lot of people chumming the water, lol. but we only had one misshap, Mom took a tumble but thankfully she only just lost her glasses. 
 We went to two reef locations, Norman and Hastings. They were so amazing. We saw a ton of sea cucumbers, parrot fish, clown fish, angel fish, coral. The highlights were sea turtles, sting rays, a reef shark and Giant Clams. On the second reef we had the marine biologist swim around with us and show us some special spots. It was cool. We also had to wear sting suits for possible jelly fish.
We didn't have any incidents.
 One cool thing that happened was I had to fight off a fish. I was just snorkeling around and then this fish started getting uncomfortably close. He swam at me attack style a couple times, but only in an attempt. I got my flippers between us and whenever it got close I would kick my flippers towards it. I got away from it, gave it some room and just watched it for a while. Well a girl got a little too close and it quickly swam towards her and bit her. I would have warned her but we were under water.... and I was curious to see if it would actually attack. :P It did.
After a long day of diving/ snorkeling we spent the evening walking around Cairns night market. The city lit up the trees in beautiful light displays. There were a lot of mosaics around too, it was a bit touristy but still impressive :)

Adventure is out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment