Monday, May 14, 2018

Day 8; Brisbane and the best story of the trip

So this day made the trip that much more interesting. The day started off right, we were flying to Brisbane today but we had some time in the morning so we went to the Aboriginal Cultural center. Before we headed out we visited the beach right next to our hotel and I found a little toy dinosaur in the sand. A rare treasure.....it'll come back.

So we headed to the Aboriginal center, after stuffing our luggage in the too small rental. Two big luggage in the back and two carry-on and massive backpack in the center seat. It was tight but we fit in.
It was a cool place, the tour included a performance about their heritage, then they did traditional dances and played the didgeridoo.
The then brought us to a field where we got to throw a spear and a boomerang. I did pretty good, nearly killed the group standing behind me :)
Now let's start the fun story. At the beginning of the tour, they were doing native face painting, my sister and I jumped in line. She got some cute marks on her cheeks and the guy just put his fingers on my chin..... I looked like I had a beard.
It was fine while I was at the center, people would know I got it there but as soon as the tour was over I wanted it off asap. We had to get to the airport, so we didn't have much time. Tash said that I could wash it off at the rental place, but I wasn't sure if the rental car place would have a bathroom. We did stop at a gas station and I know that all gas stations have bathrooms; so I jump out of the car, wave at my Dad to let him know where the gas cap is and so he knows I was going in. I get the bathroom and I know that I had to be fast so I quickly wash my face, couldn't have been in there more than 5 minutes. I come out of the gas station and the car isn't in the spot where I left it... maybe they parked....nope. They left me, they were gone.

I go out to the street, maybe they'll see that I'm not there and they'll circle round to get me. I wait.... and wait .... nope. I reach into my pocket and realize I don't have my phone or my wallet, or my passport. All that was in my pocket was that stupid dinosaur, not much help.

I'm actually quite proud of myself, for not panicking. I figured the rental place had to be close and I possibly walk to it. I just had to be sure where it's at. There was a similar rental car filling up with gas and thankfully I remembered what the logo looked like and it was on the car. The guy had just finished paying for his gas and so I stopped him before he got in his car. I told him that my family had abandoned me and I just needed to know where the rental place was to catch up to them. He said he was heading there right then, and offered me a ride. I had a quick moment of thinking of the movie Taken and that I am not prepared to deal with a potential abduction..... but whatever. I said yes, and jumped in his car. He was a really cool guy, his name was Oscar and he was from Samoa. We got to the rental place, and I found my Dad standing on the sidewalk looking around perplexed, my sister was talking to the rental guys trying to get another car (they already turned in our car.) Our luggage was in the airport shuttle along with my Mom. And it became a running gag that I anytime I go to the bathroom I tell them not to leave me behind.

We catch our plane and fly to Brisbane. We get there late and we were hungry; so we head down to the boardwalk and get some burgers. Tasha got this soft-shell crab burger, it was weird.
After dinner, we caught a free ferry over to see the Temple, the boat took us along some really cool cliffs that people were climbing with ropes and stuff. It was crazy!
We got up to the temple, it was quite a little bit of a walk, but we got there and enjoyed the view.
We caught another ferry back but it was still a fair bit of walking and we were tired. but on the way back I heard something in the trees and when I looked up I saw a couple of adorable possums!
It was an intense day... Adventure is out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment