Sunday, January 6, 2013

Happy New Year from Seoul

 You should never wait till last minute for anything; I should have written  this blog last week but now it is monday and I don't feel like writing much. So enjoy the pictures and captions :)

 
For New Years I decided to have a last trip up to Seoul, and I had only a few things in mind that I wanted to do while up there. Oh and it snowed while I was there as well. Crazy, but I love the snow, so great. 




One thing I wanted to do was go see Jump, which is a slap stick non-verbal martial arts play. The play was awesome and totally worth seeing. Even if I did have to leave church early to get there. (My bishop was all like 'why!' and all I could do was run... hehe)
 The other spot I wanted to hit was Gyeongbok Palace, it was huge and spread out. Very beautiful but as you can tell by the snow, it was very cold. I was smart though cause I bought a bunch of those hand warmers that skiers use and so that kept me toasty.
 The palace was huge and had a lot of awesome buildings, I took around a hundred pictures... not sure why, I was by myself so I guess it was a way to keep myself company, that and it would be awesome to write a comic where this place being my inspiration.
 I also bought this really cute hat that makes me look like I have ears :)
 It is a magical horse :) no I made that up

 Okay, so after my little adventure by myself I returned to my friends place for a new years party. There was a guy from Germany there and he had this cool tradition where you melted pieces of metal and dropped the melted metal in water and whatever shape the metal takes on will be your fortune for the year. When I dropped my piece in it turned out to look like an eye-patch. So my fortune is that I will be a pirate.
 
So, speaking of traditions, one tradition in Korea is that you wake up before the sunrise and watch the new day begin for the new year. Well we got up and when we arrived on the roof, we discovered that the sky was severly overcast and so you couldn't see the sun at all. Oh well we tried and I went back down and fell back to sleep on the couch. I love couches!
 So the first day of the new year we were given the gift of snow. I love snow but here in Korea, they had this incredibly bright idea to use marble as a paving stone for walkways. Marble is a deathtrap for the unwary pedestrian; and yeah that is one thing about Korea. They are more concerned that everything looks nice even though it could possibly be deadly. Lets just say they provided a complimentary ice-rink.... and there were still girls walking around in high heels. Insanity!

Okay, so one cool thing we did on the new year was do to a trick eye museum. It was a ton of fun running around playing with the pictures and rooms.

 Okay that was last weekend, this weekend I went to Busan with Jackie to see the lights before the city took them down.
 The lights were all over and yep it was still pretty cold but we had a good time getting lost near Nampo dong.

Then we went to a Korean buffet where we picked up the raw meat and cooked everything ourselves. I tried octopus and it really was tasty!




Then we climbed Busan tower and at the top landing we put a lock on the Lock Fence of Love. Apparently it is a way that couple promise each other to each other. I just thought the whole thing looked cool. The whole fence was cover by these locks and some were really old too.


That is all for this week, go have an adventure now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment