Wednesday, September 19, 2012

True Typhoon

Hey everyone!

So I finally got my wish! I experience a true typhoon/ hurricane!

Typhoon Sanben hit South Korea this last monday and I was pleasantly surprised to find that the streets outside had been flooded with water. And like any responsible logical and danger sensitive adult, I went out into it. :)







My friend Joel, who also lives in the same building as I do texted me while I was hanging halfway out my window (watching people getting blown this way and that, and cars backing up to get away from the really bad streets). Joel said he was going out because he needed food, so I quickly checked my fridge and decided I needed juice, you can't live without juice. So I met him at the entrance of our building. I was ready in shorts and a waterproof bag and my camera in hand. Joel showed up with his umbrella, that thing didn't last more than a minute in the wind. Heck! We were drench after the first few steps. While we were crossing the streets the water got all the way up to my thighs, it was intense. I think I scared Joel a little, because I was laughing and having the time of my life out there in the torrential rain.

The store owner wasn't too happy to see us, but we got what we 'needed' and met a friend on the way back. At least I wasn't as crazy as this friend, his plan was get to the beach. He ended up falling half way into an uncovered manwhole, scrapped up his leg pretty bad. I think his main concern would be bacteria and filth.

I mentioned before that I brought my camera with me before. Well, apparantly a camera and a typhoon (you know flooding water and rain everywhere) isn't a good mix. After the last picture of Joel in thigh deep water, my camera decided to die.
"You lost another camera?" said my friend David at work the next day. I think that sums up a little of my feelings there. But good news everyone! Rice really does work! My camera was put into intensive care for about three days. Thankfully, he was able to pull through. So no, I didn't lose another camera, HAH! And I got great pictures, so it was worth the risk.

When I got home I immediately took a shower, the streets on normal days are filthy; I can only imagine how dirty that water was. After cleaning up, I got about four texts from my coworkers telling me to stay inside and be safe, hah.

Also work was canceled. Which was really nice, though by the time I would normally go to work the weather was back to normal and the water was gone. It is still nice to only have a four day week though.

Apart from the typhoon, this week was a good week. I went shopping with one of my Korean co-workers on Saturday in an underground mall. That was pretty awesome.

Well, everyone stay safe and don't go out into potentially dangerous storms unless you bring your camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment