Thursday, May 10, 2012

No good, very bad week

Welcome to my no good very bad week,

Where can I start, I think it started last thursday where I got a new student in my best class. I was excited to get a new student but it was difficult because a lot of the work that we were doing in that class depended on the work you did in previous class. So the new kid could do much, then during the next class ( I have the class twice on thursday just changing the subject from writing to reading) I discovered that the first part of the lesson hadn't been taught yet (we teach reading in parts, the Korean teachers teach the first part and the foreign teachers teach the second part) well I couldn't teach my lesson then so I had to on the spot make up for the lack of a lesson. It was just simple bad luck but I covered the material we could without jeopardizing the other lesson and called it good with a educational game at the end.
Well my bad luck turned to horrid luck when the next day Director Lee approached me and told me that the new student's mom had stuck a recording device into the student's backpack and based off of what she heard made a complaint. I listened in disbelief as my director told me how I didn't have control over the class and that the Korean teacher was better and that I didn't know how to teach because the non-english speaking mom said she didn't hear me teach and then my director went on and said that I am not professional enough. She just kept attacking me in her disjointed english and basically unloaded on me. The school is in hard times at the moment, we have lost a fair amount of students and I think she just needed someone to blame. But I was definitely offended and angry, My classes are not as strict as the Korean teachers because I refuse to be that strict and that I enjoy it when the kids are free and open as long as they are speaking english and have focus on the lesson, who cares if they are a little rowdy. In any case I was angry over that and I felt basically attacked and angry that the director would not back me but take the side of the mom. I am learning more and more everyday that this is a business not a school and I don't like it.
And that was only friday, well saturday came along and I had planned to go with my hopkido group to a Buddhist temple where we were going to train there. Sounds cool right, well it wasn't what I thought it would be. We left in the morning and arrived at out motel where the twenty of us will sleep in two rooms, one for the girls and one for the boys. When we got their our master told us that because of traffic we would not be able to get to one of the temples so for the next six hours we had free time and could hang out. The motel was right next to a river which was a lot of fun to play in. Well six hours is a long time so I decided that I wanted to go out into the river and sit on the big rock in the center and draw. I had my sketchbook in hand and my camera in my back pocket. I sketched for a bit and one of the Koreans followed me around. I was fine up until we were moving back up the river when one of the rocks we were hopping around on gave way and the last thing I saw was my hand holding my sketchbook try to catch myself by going into the water. My butt followed directly afterwards and within seconds I dunked the two things I told myself I would protect from doing just that. Below is the last picture my late camera took:
Yeah, no more camera...
Anyways the rest of the weekend was slightly disappointing, the rest of the evening everyone drank and I slept on the floor having to listen to the shouting of their drinking party in the next room. I was the only one to wake up at the right time at 7:30am. Then we didn't actually train at the temple, just drank questionable tea with a couple of monks. That part wasn't too bad. One of the foreigners was totally hung over from the night before though, not pretty. And because everyone slept in that morning we were late to all the other appointments which meant I didn't get home in time for church. Joy, what a weekend. I did get a pretty cool picture from one of my buddies though:
When I got back to work on Monday, it was the same story as friday except it is now public humiliation, where my Director used me as bad example and basically had a meeting with the other english teachers to talk about it. We had a two hour meeting on wednesday and during that waste of time I apparently raised my voice to the director or at least that is what David told me. So I apologized today to Director Lee and just ate my humble soup. I feel better about it now that I figure I can't control any of it and if the school goes under I get to come home a little earlier then I planned. I think I will go to China next after all if that happens. Oh and I bought a new camera today, I help from a friend who knows his stuff so it is a nice one. It cost a fair amount more then my last camera but it is good quality and I needed a camera for this coming weekend. I am going to the Temple! I am so Excited!!! So hopefully my bad week has burned itself out now and things will have turned around. We shall see. Here are the rest of the last pics I took with my dearly departed camera. I will post them as a momento:
That is the miracle sketchbook that amazingly enough only suffered from minor water damage after being completely submersed in the water. Oh and those were my only pants I brought with me as well.
Evil River....grrr

No comments:

Post a Comment