Friday, July 10, 2015

4th of July Weekend with Darlea!!!!

Happy Canada Day!!! I swear I'm still American. Anyways, Canada Day was on the 1st of July; then the 4th of July was on well you know. So this year as I am still in Canada I thought I would just stick around here to see the festivities. And to my delight my friend Darlea said she wanted to come up and see me for the Holiday. Awesome!!!

So I wanted to share our adventures with you guys! 
She arrived the day before Canada Day and since that day was a Stat holiday I had the day off. Wednesday came and we decided to go to the Salmon festival over in Steveston. This is the town where they supposedly filmed Once upon a Time; cool. There were lots of festivities and a parade:
 I think my favorite float was for a window washing company that wore kilts. Their logo was 'no peeking' Hilarious.
 After the parade we walked around the town and the warf; apparently they had some business in whale watching; cause images of orcas were everywhere. The whole town was really cute and just fun to walk around. We went shopping afterwards for food cause I had none at home.... I swear I'm an adult. Darlea made me buy more vegetables and fruit than I normally do but at least I'll eat well this week :)
 Thursday I had to work but we planned something fun afterwards. We went on a period appropriate walking tour of Vancouver. It was really cool! Our guide (see above) acted out a character from when Vancouver was first established and walked us around gastown and other locations talking about 'his' story while he was alive.  All of it was the truth besides his own character; he even had an awesome accent which he kept up the whole tour. Anyone in Vancouver should check them out! forbiddenvancouver.ca
 Friday Night, (again after work) I took Darlea to the night market over by bridgeport skytrain station and of course we had a blast. We got to sit on the Rotato Throne (see above) Where we could munch on our rotatoes. Which are potatoes that have been skewered and cut into a circle rotation up a stick. They were super tasty! We also got to eat squid; watch mediocre performances and shop for odds and ends. Also she got to have a bubble tea!
 Saturday was the big excursion to the Butchart Gardens! This one was a little nerve racking becuase we had to drive to catch a ferry the catch a bus; ride it to terminus to get to the Gardens. We had to catch all at the right time or we would be stuck for at least an hour in each stop if we didn't get it right. Surprisingly, we made it! Not without hiccups, first the parking lot we found next to the ferry had a bus that would shuttle us to the ferry but when it arrived the driver told us that we were parked in the handicapped area and that we had to move our car and he would be back in a half hour. Well that would have made us miss the ferrry we needed to catch. So we hurried and miraculously found a spot in the right area and booked it back to the bus right before he left. Then we caught the ferry, and another miracle: when we arrived at the port we only had to wait five minutes for the bus that would take us to the gardens. Amazing!!!
 The gardens themselves were a blast, flowers and plants were everywhere and it was a perfect day for it too. Cause it was bright and sunny and warm.

We started out in the sunken garden and it was awesome, for more reasons than one; Originally this was a quarry and the Butcharts boaught it and turned it into a garden. What I loved about this was that about five years ago I finished a mural in my moms bathroom and I based it off of these gardens. So it was like I was literally walking in my painting!

 If you can see the bush right next to the water that is actually rubarb, gigantic rubarb!

 We stopped at the rose gardens part for a nice little rest next to a small wishing well and it was so nice to just relax and people watch!



 There also was a japanese gardens and it was fabulous I felt like I was back in Japan again!
 Another cool part was the Italian garden; which happened to be the last gardens we visited. I loved that spot mainly because I got to eat Gelato!
 Our last day together we headed to Capilano Suspension Brigde; It was again something nice to just walk around in commercialized nature (this place is like a nature Disneyland) and just enjoy the natural beauty of the place.
We of course went over the suspension bridge and had fun on the cliff walk; but there was also a raptor show where Darlea got to show off her amazing inteligence of these magnificent creatures namely the bard Owl. 
 
My friend is so awesome!

So that was my fun-filled and exhausting week with my friend! I thought we did pretty good at getting around to see the sights; she even did more while I was at work too! There was a ton of walking! But I enjoyed it and I do love when she follows me across the globe (really she followed me to Idaho, Disney World, South Korea and now Canada.)

Adventure is out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment